ELAN doesn't install on computer with ARM-based processor

Hello,

I just switched to mac, and I’m attempting to install ELAN on a virtual Windows 11 PC using Parallels (I ran into keyboard issues trying to use ELAN directly on the mac OS).

During installation I get the error “This program can only be installed on versions of Widows designed for the following processor architectures: x64”

Windows lists my processor as “ARM-based” – it’s a newer macbook. I’m running the latest versions of OS X and Windows 11.

I notice that the ELAN installers have a version for M1 macs. Is this something that’s needed for PCs as well? Is this something that can be fixed, or should I give up?

Thanks!

Hello,

Yes, ELAN for Windows is only available for “x64”; the only “standard” Java JDK build for Windows is for x64.

I’ve no experience with this, but it seems there is something like “x64 emulation for Windows 10/11 on ARM” which sounds like something similar to Apple’s Rosetta-2 for M1 macOS. I don’t know if x64 emulation is installed by default with Windows 11 or if it has to be installed separately. Also don’t know if it is activated automatically when an x64 application is launched.
Anyway, I guess something like this is needed to run ELAN on Windows in Parallels on an M1 Mac.

-Han

UPDATE: parallels just released an update and it works now!