ELAN Broken GUI

Hi, I am conducting research on sign language recognition.
I’m trying to use ELAN, but the screen keeps breaking.

It gets worse on “Windows Look and Feel”.

My environment is as follows

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Graphic Card: MSI GTX 1080 Ti AERO 11G

Do you have a solution for this?
Thank you.

Hi,

This is quite extreme. We are working on improving repainting of some of the ‘viewers’ in the application, but this is beyond that.

I don’t know of a clear solution for this. Could it be that the video is very large (resolution and/or frame rate)?
Are there options for the graphics card that can be explorer (via System Settings or Control Panel)?
Finally, if you right-click the ELAN.exe in the File Explorer and choose Properties, the Compatibility tab can have some settings that can be tested to see if improvements are possible?

-Han

The Video file is a MJPEG 1920 x 1080 30 fps MKV. An Azure Kinect camera was used for filming so it also contains depth and IR videos. The file size is quite large like over 100MB.
I extracted MJPEG track and transcoded it to H.265 for testing. GUI keeps breaking even with H.265 2MB video file.

I checked NVIDIA control panel for related options, but I could not find any.
I tried Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and used recommended settings, but there was not much difference.

I have installed K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1810_Standard for MJPEG codec. Maybe it has some issues with Java?
I will have to live with it.
Thank you very much for your attention and suggestions.
Regards,
Wonjae Lee

The size of the video shouldn’t be the problem then. Not sure about the encoding, that’s probably also not he problem, but you could try one of the example sets from this resources page, just to be sure.

If you wish, you can send log files (elan0.log, elan1.log etc. from <user_home>\.elan_data) to me by email (han.sloetjes AT mpi.nl) then I can have a look to see if there’s something special in it/them.

Best,
-Han

I tried sign-example.zip .
In the first run, everything was perfect.
But when I tried pull-down menu, menu GUI started breaking.

Then other parts started breaking, too.

I will send you the log files.

Thank you very much for your time.
Regards,
Wonjae Lee