Problems with praat importing into elan

Hi!
I recently ran into this problem when using elan for audiovisual analysis. When I import a textgrid file into elan that has been annotated in praat, I find that the segmentation in elan is the same as in praat, but the sound is not. For example, in this sentence: Bob goes to Boston with Boris. In 0.52 seconds to 0.93 seconds in praat, the speaker is saying the word “Bob”, but in elan, it is “Bob go…” in the same time interval, and I checked that the duration of each syncopated segment and the total duration are almost the same in both, which is very confusing to me :cry:. I’d be very grateful if you could advise me on this, thanks.

-Gloria

Hi Gloria,

I understand the confusion. Can you add a bit more information about the media file(s)? Especially, is in ELAN only the audio file linked that was used in Praat, or is a video file linked as well?

The segmentation is probably alright. It sounds like it is a matter of the audio playback of a segment in ELAN not being as ‘tight’ as in Praat. This might be caused by an additional video being linked in ELAN, but maybe you have only an audio file linked in ELAN like in Praat?

-Han

Hi Han,

Thank you for your reply! In ELAN I created the video file and the corresponding audio file exported from this video file (the same audio used for annotation in praat), then I tried to import the annotated textgrid file, and the above problem occurred.

My computer is a mac, and then because this problem could not be solved, I tried to change to a Windows computer and reinstalled ELAN and imported the same file, and the segmentation went back to normal. I would like to know if this is a problem due to the computer system?

-Gloria

Hi Gloria,

There can be differences between systems, but I wouldn’t say that in general accuracy (of playing back a segment) is worse on a mac.
When comparing the segmentation and playback of segments between Praat and ELAN, it is probably best to have the .wav file as the first linked file in ELAN, so that it is the leading or main media file and the sound is produced from that file. You can also try to use the controls in the Controls tab pane, to mute the video and set the wave file to Solo, to see if this makes a difference.
Making the .wav file the first in the list is straightforward for new files, but can also be done for existing files via Edit->Linked Files... Beware though that in ELAN 6.7 on macos, changing the order of the media files can cause a crash, so it would then be best to switch to 6.6 for that task (this is mac specific).