I had to force quit on ELAN and my saved file did not save any annotations

Hello,
While on Segmentation mode, my ELAN froze and the file would not stop playing out loud. Once I let it play all the way through, I still wasn’t able to click on anything. I had to force quit. I did not think this would be an issue because I had saved my file, but when I reopened it, all of my annotations were gone. Am I suppose to open it a certain way? Please help.
Best.

Hello,

In principle the file should be opened in the same way as always, but it sounds like the file could be damaged, maybe because of the crash. In case you had automatic backup switched on, there should be a file with a .eaf.001 extension; such file can be opened in the usual way after removing the .001 suffix in the file explorer/Finder.
Sometimes a damaged file can be repaired in an XML editor and (part of) the contents can be retained. You may send the file to me (han.sloetjes AT mpi.nl) and I’ll have a look, otherwise you might have to revert to the latest backup of the file.

-Han

I recently joined Elan and experienced the same thing. Could you please tell me how to activate the automatic backup?

Hello,

Automatic Backup can be switch on and off via menu File->Automatic Backup and then one of the submenus to indicate how often the backup should be made. This is a per file setting, not a global setting.

-Han

Hi! ELAN crashed and autosaving apparently did not work, because I have lost two hours of work.
I don’t seem to be able to open the 001 file with the method described here, what can I do?
My .001 files already come with the .eaf extension, so when I try to get rid of the 001 extension to open them with elan there is nothing there to get rid of!

Hi, I’m not sure if I fully understand: can the file after removing the .001 in the File Explorer or Finder (so, abc.eaf.001 has become abc.eaf) not be opened in ELAN? If that is the case, are there clear error messages in View->View Log... after trying to open the file?
In anyway, if you like, you can send the backup file to me (han.sloetjes AT mpi.nl) , so that I can see if it is damaged and what can be restored.
It might be good to set the number of backup files to more than 1, to reduce the risk of the backup file itself being damaged because of a crash while it was saving. This can be done via Edit->Preferences->Edit Preferences... >Preferences category.

-Han

Dear Han,
I managed to recover my files on the office computer. Thank you anyway for your availability!