6.7-M1 - Stuck on Initializing

Hi,

When I try to open a .eaf file or make a new file and import audio, ELAN stops responding and is stuck on initializing. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the app but the same error occurs. I’m using an Apple M2 Pro with Sonoma 14.4.1. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ada

Hi,

It sounds like there is a problem with creating a media player for the media file. What type of media file(s) are you using (format, encoding etc.)?
If the user interface is still responsive (when it is stuck while initializing) you could go to View->View Log… and see if there are clear error messages at the bottom of the list concerning the creation of a media player.
Otherwise these might be found in the file elan0.log (elan1.log etc.) in the ELAN data folder.. (No need to post the entire content here, in case of doubt you can send the log(s) to me han.sloetjes AT mpi.nl )

-Han

Hi Han,

I’m using .wav files, and I can’t find clear error messages (at least to me). Here are the last few lines of the log:

Apr 24, 2024 4:08:50 PM nl.mpi.jni.NativeLogger nlog
NATIVE: AudioExtractor.detectTrackProperties:
media type: soun
total sample data length: 0
natural time scale: 8000
NATIVE: AudioExtractor.detectSampleProperties:
buffer type: 239
sample duration: 0.0001
NATIVE: sample buffer duration 0.5000 (4000 / 8000)
NATIVE: number of samples: 4000
total sample size: 16000
buffer sample size: 4

• Ada

Hi Ada,

Thanks for the log messages. It is strange to see messages from the AudioExtractor, which is only used for extracting audio samples from video files or audio files other than .wav files. Uncompressed .wav files are handled by other (Java or non-native) classes in ELAN. So, if the files are really .wav files, maybe they use some type of compression which is (also) not supported by Apple’s AVFoundation?

Maybe you can check with some tool how the files are encoded or maybe you can try if converting to uncompressed .wav helps? In case you have a representative test .wav file which can be shared, I’m happy to have a closer look.

-Han